Where do I sleep???

Where do I sleep??? 1) Friends and family - 36 nights 2) Couch surfing - 3 nights 3) Camping - 20 nights 4) In my car - 32 nights as of 12/24

Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 13: Virginia beach and car camping

I left D.C. Monday morning for Virginia Beach.  When I'm on the coast I'm constantly checking the wave forecasts and it seemed to show VB with a bit more swell than other areas.  Again, I took my bike for a ride along the boardwalk in search of a nice sandbar producing clean waves.  Along the way I met a nice local mother and daughter and they asked me to help them load up some bikes into their pick-up truck as the season for bike rentals was coming to a close.  Their accent and friendly charisma let me know that I truly was in the south. 

I finally found a decent break on the other side of an inlet.  Some guys that were checking it out told me that's where most of the locals went to surf.  As a rule of thumb, if the locals are there, its the best spot going at that time.  To be honest the waves were nothing to write home about, a bit mushy, lacking power and not any long rides, but the highlight happened when a pair of dolphins swam about 10 meters in front of the line up.  It's always good to know dolphins are in the water around you as they have been known to protect surfers from sharks. 

My sleeping plan
worked perfectly!
NC taxes hard at work for
these lovely facilities.
I ditched my plan to stay in VB and continued south to North Carolina because the swell prediction had improved for Cape Hatteras.  Somewhere between here and there I came upon a well facilitated rest area and used it to its fullest capacity.  I even spent my first night in the car and the 4 inches of clearance between my nose and the car ceiling proved just enough.    

No comments:

Post a Comment